Thursday, December 28, 2023

Cogs & Crabmen Playtest


After spending a good chunk of my holiday break editing and formatting, I have finished the first playtest for Cogs & Crabmen. my medieval maritime adventuring supplement rules for Demesnes & Domination.  This is the preliminary play-test so it doesn't include deck layouts for all of the ships or a size chart yet but I'm currently working on those. There is also plenty of "placeholder" areas for artwork so you're going to see some gaps. Speaking of, the artwork included isn't the final images I'm using. I used Medieval/Early Modern artwork to illustrate what the period looked like. I'm also working on some additional appendices for crime & punishment and more in depth port settlement generation. I developed the Merchant as a thief sub-class for this book, but i released it separately but it will be included in the later versions. An aim of this book is to capture waterborne adventuring in the late medieval period within the set up of b/x and adjacent games since most sailing-themed RPGs focus on the Age of Sail. Providing players with the means to navigate water with a ship and seek high adventure in a sandbox setting was the main goal. I want to eliminate barriers and open up the possiblilites of a campaign for both the referee and the players, and waterborne adventuring was a natural extension of that.

While this play-test is happening, I'll be making artwork for Cogs & Crabmen and commissioning more artists to contribute as well in addition to laying out the basis for the next follow up book regarding underground adventuring.

If you are interested in checking it out and being a play-tester, email me at arcaneswordpress AT gmail DOT com! Since this is a playtest, anyone who tries out the rules and gives me feedback will certainly be credited in the final release!

No comments:

Post a Comment